Proverbs 23:23 NLT
Get the truth and never sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment.
This post will be in four parts after this first post which will be a brief reflection on
Living God’s Word – Introduction.
Part One – Truth, Part Two – Wisdom, Part Three – Discipline, Part Four – Good Judgment.
I’ve chosen this verse from Proverbs because it speaks of what we need to get in order to live in the fullness of what God desires for us. It starts with God’s Word, the Bible. If we are going to attempt to live a life pleasing to God, then we need to be looking to the Bible daily, not only reading it casually, but meditating on it, studying it and finding ways to put it Into Practice (thus the name of this blog).
Here in these posts, we will discuss truths from God’s Word and possible ways we can put those truths into practice. I will invite others to participate in regular posts as well to gain insights from others who share the same desire for believers to walk faithfully according to God’s Word.
So, first off!
Living God’s Word.
I like what the Apostle Paul writes in Phil 3:14 NLT
I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
What is the goal here in this verse that Paul is talking about? Christ is the goal. Knowing Christ and the power of his resurrection, which is at work in us through the Holy Spirit.
In the previous verses (7-11) Paul gives evidence of two things at work in him,
1) being made righteous through faith in Christ,
For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 3:9 NLT
2) experiencing/knowing the power of Christ by walking/identifying with him in our actions – dying to sin, being raised to the life He desires.
to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. 3:10 NLT
To take these thoughts further, we need to realize that holding onto a righteousness through faith in Christ requires a change in mindset, transformation of the mind (see Romans 12:2). It’s a process of learning what God desires through His Word and through prayer. He will reveal truths to us and guide us as we submit our way to Him (Proverbs 3:5-6).
Then, as we are being transformed by the renewing of our minds, we need to put Into Practice those truths Christ desires for us to obey, otherwise the process stops there and we do not mature in our faith. Transformation requires Conformity to the will of Christ Jesus in everything.
These two things, Transformation of the mind (Time in God’s Word) and Conformity of our wills in obedience to Christ (Putting God’s Truth into Practice) are paramount for the Christian life. Let’s press on to reach the prize of knowing Jesus Christ more through a radical change of mind and submission of our wills to His.
- Are you spending time in God’s Word, reading, meditating and studying it?
- If not, find a way to make more time for the Bible.
- There are many Bible reading plans and options available (see side panel).
- What truths come to your attention from the verses you are reading?
- Write down notes and highlight words that stand out in the passage.
- Spend time thinking and praying about those truths.
- What actions can you take in response to what God is revealing to you?
- Is there some behaviour that needs to change?
- What can you do to bless someone else in response to this truth?