God over all gods . . .
Psalm 115:1-8 NLT
 Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness.
 Why let the nations say, “Where is their God?”
 Our God is in the heavens, and he does as he wishes.
 Their idols are merely things of silver and gold, shaped by human hands.
 They have mouths but cannot speak, and eyes but cannot see.
 They have ears but cannot hear, and noses but cannot smell.
 They have hands but cannot feel, and feet but cannot walk, and throats but cannot make a sound.
 And those who make idols are just like them, as are all who trust in them.
Reflection . . .
This Psalm helps us understand that anything that does not give glory to God is rendering glory/honour to an idol. The nations make idols and gods of all sorts of things, seen and unseen. Those idols and gods are worthless, they cannot do anything, they have no power.
Let’s ask ourselves . . .
- What things am I not giving praise and glory to God for?
- What might be hindering my relationship with the Lord, keeping me from growing in my faith?
More often than not there are “idols” or things in our lives that keep us from a deeper relationship the the Lord. He desires us to continually grow in our faith and depend fully upon Him.
O Israel, trust the LORD! He is your helper and your shield. All you who fear the LORD, trust the LORD! He is your helper and your shield.Psalm 115:9,11 NLT
What are the keys to growing in our faith?
- Be in God’s Word – read, meditate, study, and obey it!
- Be in Prayer – communicate with the Lord about everything!
- Be in Community – go to Church and study the Bible together with others!